Here we go again! Time to reflect on the past month and see what our current net worth is. August was a bit rough on the expense side. My laptop and lawnmower decided to die on me, so I replaced both of those with good, used items. Using my thrifty skills, I managed to get a good laptop and lawnmower for about $500. I also booked a trip to Costa Rica so that was an additional $1,000. I had cash set aside for the trip, so it only affects how much cash we have saved up.
- Started the month with a net worth of $96,748.87
- Regular income = $2,810.32
- eBay profits = $755.33
- Additional income = $1,440.92
- Total Investment gains = $1,152.38 (Includes my 401k contributions.)
- Total net income = $6,158.95
- Total expenses = $3,633.78
- Total saved = $2,525.17
What our net worth consists of:
- Investments = $32,544.74 (all in Vanguard funds.)
- Cars = $23,000
- Home equity = $16,410.52 (I’m calculating this as if we could sell our house for $110,000.00 and subtracting 10% for seller fees. Then subtracting what we owe – $82,589.48)
- Everything we own that could be sold = $15,000
- Emergency fund = $8,718.63 (Currently in a Betterment 60% stock 40% bonds account.)
- Cash = $2,394.95
- Balances on credit cards = $-340.38 (This is today’s balance and will be paid off in full by the due date.)
- Total net worth as of today’s calculations = $97,728.46
We didn’t get the net worth up by much this month but at least we’re still moving up! You can’t expect to have a great month every month. Even though we had a couple of big, unexpected expenses this month, we still saved a decent amount. Thankfully, the stock market is continuing to go up, so our investments continued to grow this month without putting much in them.
September’s net worth report probably won’t be a very big change either. I’m going back to college and didn’t get any financial aid, so I will have to pay a couple thousand cash for that. Thanks to my eBay side gig, I should be able to pay the full amount in cash though. It’s nice to have multiple income streams when you have big expenses coming in.
Sometimes, you have to work through the months without seeing big gains. I will get to my orange belt soon enough though!