Welcome back to the monthly net worth update series. Here, I show you what we’re doing with our money and being transparent about our net worth increasing or decreasing. I don’t do these updates to brag, as you’ll see there’s nothing to brag about this month.
November was an expensive month since we took a trip to Costa Rica. It seems the market went up a bit from its drop. I think it’s still down from where it has been in previous months though. As you can probably tell, I take a passive approach to investing. I just throw my money in index funds without worrying much about what the market is doing.
- Started the month with a net worth of $95,957.01
- Regular income = $3,101.20
- eBay income = $707.88
- Wife’s income = $400.00
- Credit card cashback = $196.26
- Additional income = $150.00
- Antique Booth income = $230.00
- Total net income = $4,663.19
- Total expenses = $3,978.27
- Total saved = $684.92
- Total investment gains/losses = + $522.57
What our net worth consists of:
- Investments = $31,833.77 (all in Vanguard funds.)
- Cars = $23,000
- Home equity = $16,952.94 (I’m calculating this as if we could sell our house for $110,000.00 and subtracting 10% for seller fees. Then subtracting what we owe – $82,047.06)
- Everything we own that could be sold = $15,000
- Emergency fund = $8,401.05 (Currently in a Betterment 60% stock 40% bonds account.)
- Cash = $2,158.50
- Balances on credit cards = $-1,584.33 (This is today’s balance and will be paid off in full by the due date.)
- Total net worth as of today’s calculations = $95,766.93
- Total net worth increase/decrease = $-190.08
If you’d like to start tracking your net worth, sign up for a free Personal Capital account! I love Personal Capital because it allows you to connect all of your financial accounts and track your net worth in one place. It’s super easy to use.
Our net worth didn’t go up, but would have significantly if we didn’t go on vacation. I wish we could’ve at least boosted our numbers a little this month, but we did have a good trip, so it was money well spent.
I’d like for our net worth to go up even in months where we travel and I’m working to learn the travel hacking game good enough to travel for super cheap. Won’t be long and we’ll be able to go wherever we want for pennies on the dollar!